The lawn care business is a tried and true system that can be a profitable endeavor. Lawns have been around since the 17th century and they are not going away anytime soon. A good-looking lawn can make any property look better and people do invest a lot in their lawn to ensure this.
There are numerous steps that can hinder or aid the start of a business. Walking through that minefield can be perilous and tough, but knowing what you are doing and taking the right steps can make navigating through that minefield worth it. Here are 6 tips that will help you walk through that process and start your own lawn care business.
1. Know Your Market
Knowledge is power and knowing who your potential customers are is incredibly important when starting any business. You would not start a lawn care business in the middle of Manhattan as there are little to no lawns to be caring for in a city environment. Understanding your market can help you start your business in the right place.
US households on average spend over $500 a year on lawn care services. The venture can potentially be a profitable one but the right market is what is going to decide that. The figure alone does not tell us where the customers, are only that there are customers. Knowing where to place your business is essential.
How you start your business sets the tone for the future of the company. You can set yourself up right off the bat by installing your lawn care business in a market with a large customer base and with few competitors. Position yourself for success and do the proper research to find the perfect market for your business
2. Establish Your Financials
You need money to make money and when starting a business this is even more prevalent. Establishing financials can give you an idea of what your company will look like in the early stages. That is not to say that starting small means you can not grow big, but starting small means growth will take time.
Understanding how much you are willing to invest to start the business will help establish clear initial goals for the company while tying in realistic expectations. If you only invest $100 in the company you cannot realistically expect to be making millions in the first month as there is no proper infrastructure to support that dream.
3. Solid, Realistic Goals
Rome was not built in a day and your new lawn care business won’t be either. Understanding this can help keep a positive outlook when initially starting the business. Do not be down if things start slow at first as you are going to be a new company that still needs to establish a reputation.
Setting goals that can properly be achieved can work wonders in driving the business forward. Goals will help you establish a place you want to be and aid you in working towards that. On the flip side, if you create unrealistic goals for yourself this can be counter-productive as once you do not achieve their morale will begin to drop.
4. Know Your Lawn Care
You are starting a lawn care business whose sole purpose would be based upon the care of lawns. If you do not know anything about lawn care then it might not be best for you to start such a company. That being said if you still want to start such a business make sure to at least have an employee or partner that knows their lawns.
There are many ways for a company to get successful and one of those ways is to have a good product or service. Your knowledge of lawn care will directly correspond to your quality of service. A person who is well knowledgeable in lawn care and well experienced can provide better lawn care than a person who knows nothing of the topic.
Read More: Help Your Landscaping Business Grow
Networking is important regardless of any career path one would want to take. Knowing other business owners and people that could potentially be valuable customers will help make the process of starting your own lawn care business that much easier. A well-established network can do wonders for anyone.
If you can build a network composed of those people you are building a support system. A system that can bring in more customers, a system that gives advice and aid for any problem that may arise as a business owner. Networking is essential to any business and the larger you can build that network the more successful your business will become.
Read More: Insurance for your Gardening Business
6. Enjoy it
You are going to be a business owner. There is going to be stress involved, there are going to be hardships, but you will be one of the few people that can proudly say they are a business owner. A business owner who has built his own business should take pride in that fact, as it is not an easy task to accomplish.
The difficulties that come with the business can be tough, but one must remember that if you enjoy what you do then nothing will be able to stop you. Passion and enjoyment translate into your business and that leads to success. So enjoy the journey and you will be properly rewarded for it. Stay positive, stay happy, and enjoy the ride.
The Lawn Care Venture
Starting a lawn care business is a huge industry that is easily accessible to many people There is money in the lawn industry with market size of around $69 billion. Tapping into that market is the goal and hopefully, the tips listed help you take the necessary steps to get you in the right direction.
A lawn care business is no easy task. Problems arising are a given but maintaining a proper outlook and having the right knowledge of the right things are going to mitigate those issues. Be smart, be happy and you will be successful. The lawn care business is there for the taking so start yours today.
- Garden tool set including 1pc 26" anvil loppers, 1pc 23" hedge shears, 1pc premium titanium bypass pruning shears.Heavy duty branch cutter and tree pruner.
- Sharp Blade: 3pcs garden shears set made from high quality SK-5 steel with teflon treatment for smooth cutting, low-friction and rust resistance, that's more durable and a long lasting sharp, easy to cut bushes, branches, hedges and shrubs.
- Ratchet Compound Action to Save 50% Labor: hedge shears set design in heavy duty compound lever system which can providing up to 4x more power on each cutting and save your 50% labor. Never feel tired after day of gardening work, even for the elderly gardener or if you have arthritic wrists.
- Widely Application- Loppers and pruners heavy duty is suitable for cutting green living branch & dry wood, pruning fruit tree, bushes and landscaping, allowing you to handle any pruning jobs indoor or outdoor.
- Wonderful Gardening Gift: your gardening lovers like grandpa, grandma, wife, husbands, parents, friend and neighbour will very happy to get this wonderful gardening kit on their christmas day, new years, birthday, anniversary day, etc.
- [3 POWERFUL TOOLS] Bundled together at a very nice price. A 2-in-1 grass trimmer/edger, a long hedge trimmer for flat tops, and a powerful TURBINE blower
- [TRIMMER & EDGER IN ONE] Converts from a string trimmer into a wheeled edger and back again in just seconds. Save your money and don’t buy separate trimmers and edgers
- [DO IT ALL WITH THE SAME BATTERY] Worx Power Share is compatible with all Worx 20v and 40v tools, outdoor power and lifestyle products
- [STRING ON-DEMAND] With Command Feed, you just push the button when you need more line. Plus, with this model, you get free spools for life!
- [22” HEDGE TRIMMER] Long enough for smooth trimming, but not so long that it’s hard to use. We think 22” is the perfect length for regular hedge maintenance