Are Snake Plants Toxic to Dogs?


Are Snake Plants Toxic to Dogs?

Are Snake Plants Toxic to Dogs

Snake plants, scientifically known as Sansevieria, are popular houseplants admired for their aesthetic appeal and air-purifying qualities. These plants have sturdy, sword-shaped leaves and people often seek them out for their low maintenance and resilience.

However, concerns about their toxicity to dogs have emerged among pet owners, prompting questions about the safety of having snake plants in homes with canine companions.

Understanding Snake Plants and Their Composition

Anatomy of Snake Plants

Snake plants contain specific compounds like saponins and organic acids. These elements are known to cause irritation and mild toxicity in animals and humans when ingested in substantial quantities.

Toxicity Potential

While snake plants are generally considered mildly toxic to pets, especially cats and dogs, the toxicity level is relatively low compared to other poisonous plants. The ASPCA (American Society to Prevent Cruelty to Animals) lists snake plants as toxic to pets due to the presence of saponins. When ingested in large amounts, these compounds can lead to symptoms such as nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and discomfort in pets.

Unfortunately, yes, snake plants are toxic to dogs. They contain saponins, which can cause various symptoms if ingested.

Here’s what you need to know:


  • We consider snake plants mildly to moderately toxic to dogs.
  • The toxic component is saponins, which can irritate the digestive system.

Symptoms of poisoning:

  • Symptoms usually appear within a few hours of ingestion.
  • Common symptoms include:
    • Drooling
    • Nausea
    • Vomiting
    • Diarrhea
    • Lethargy
    • Loss of appetite

In severe cases, snake plant poisoning can lead to:

  • Tremors
  • Seizures
  • Liver damage
  • Kidney failure

What to do if you suspect your dog has ingested a snake plant:

  • Contact your veterinarian immediately.
  • Do not induce vomiting unless instructed by your veterinarian.
  • Be prepared to provide information about the plant, including the amount your dog ingested.


  • Keep snake plants out of reach of your dog.
  • Place them in hanging baskets or on high shelves.
  • Monitor your dog closely when they are around the plant.

Remember, it’s always better to be safe than sorry. If you have any concerns about your dog’s health, please contact your veterinarian.

Snake Plants and Pets: Safety Measures

Symptoms of Ingestion

Pet owners should be vigilant about observing any symptoms of plant ingestion in their dogs, such as excessive drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, or changes in behavior. If any of these signs are noticed, immediate veterinary care is recommended.

Preventive Measures

To ensure the safety of your pets, it’s crucial to keep snake plants out of their reach. Placing the plants in elevated locations or utilizing barriers can prevent curious pets from accessing them. Additionally, pet owners should discourage pets from nibbling on any houseplants.

Safe Alternatives

If you’re concerned about the potential risk of having snake plants around your pets, consider opting for pet-friendly houseplants that pose minimal to no threat. Some alternatives include the spider plant (Chlorophytum comosum), Boston fern (Nephrolepis exaltata), or the friendship plant (Pilea involucrata).

Here are some resources for more information:

  • ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center: 1-888-426-4435
  • Pet Poison Helpline: 1-855-764-7661


Snake plants are indeed beautiful additions to any indoor space, but for pet owners, it’s crucial to prioritize the safety and well-being of their furry companions. While snake plants carry mild toxicity risks, proactive measures and awareness can significantly reduce any potential harm to pets.

Remember, being an informed and vigilant pet owner is key to ensuring a safe and harmonious environment for both your plants and your beloved pets.