There’s nothing quite like waking up to see a beautiful backyard decked out with a lush garden that is well kept. It is important that you do pay attention to the details that matter in order to make garden maintenance enjoyable and effective. A garden hose reel is a spindle you can use to roll up a hose whenever you want to store it.
This will straighten it and keep your yard clean. It is usually made of plastic, metal, or fiberglass. It may be portable or permanently fixed in a wall or any other portion of your yard. If your yard has no irrigation from day one, you will always need a garden hose reel in order to water easily and avoid moving tangles of hose around.
This review and buyer’s guide will help you select a good and affordable garden hose reel from the many options available in the market.
There are many benefits of using a good garden hose reel. They include the following:
- It improves the environment.
- It reduces accidents in the workplace.
- It prevents leakage.
- It prolongs the life of a hose.
- It enhances efficiency.
Types of Best Garden Hose Reel
1. Automatic Reel
An automatic reel has a small motor that reels in the pipeline for you without needing your effort. It usually comes with a hose and makes for easy watering. It is highly recommended for anyone who has a back problem.
As the name implies, this type of reel is usually attached to a wall in the yard and can be accessed anytime. It has a manual crank and it is ideal for use in a milder climate and near a water source.
This type of reel is mounted on a wheeled trolley so you can move it around. It is suitable for a larger garden with many water points and you can also keep it in a shed or garage when not in use or away from the sun, especially during winter. We have two trolley-wheeled options, namely manual crank and the spring retractable.
A single reel comes with a spring mechanism that tightens when the hose reels out. It is called a self-retracting reel. A quick tug forces the retraction mechanism to activate and this is when the retracting takes place, making it spool the hose back up. An inbuilt lock mechanism prevents this from happening during watering.
5. Plastic Reels
Plastic reels are the most affordable type under review. They are either wall- or trolley-mounted and are very durable.
This is also known as auto-winding reels. They are very strong and durable, and most suitable for a demanding yard or in bad weather. Some of them are purely plastic while others are partly made of metal.
How To Choose The Best Option for You
Choosing the right one may be difficult for two reasons. One, you have to find the one that fits your needs. Two, you should consider your budget. Once you are able to figure this out, then finding the best garden hose reel becomes as simple as ABC. It will save you tons of money, and headaches. This is why we have created this simple but effective checklist to help you out.
- Check the label for its length and width.
- Read online reviews to know if it lasts long.
- Make sure the wall-mounted options have enough anchor points that can secure them properly to the wall.
- Buy a metal reel instead of a plastic one if you live in a cold or sunny climate.
- Ensure that trolley-mounted reels have large and well-built wheels as well as good threads to make them durable. Check if the frame components are metal or not as this will make it strong enough. You should also check the handle to know if you can adjust it according to your height.
- Consider buying a trolley-mounted garden reel if you need to move your pipe from one place to another, especially between watering points, or you struggle with a heavy hose. Traditional and spring retractable garden reels usually have trolley mounts.
- Find a design with a spring or motor retractor for convenience. Spring retractors are cheaper than motor retractors.
Reviews of the Best Hose Reels
Here are the best hose reels in town and their features.
Strongway Parallel or Perpendicular Wall-Mount
- It is durable.
- It has a steel coating.
- It has a wall mount.
- It includes mounting hardware.
- It can be adapted for right- or left-handed use.
- It has a 150 PSI rating for use with any water source.
- It is completely exposed to the weather.
Giraffe Tools 130 ft. ½ in. Retractable
- It’s ready to use and recyclable.
- It has a wall-mount and 180° rotation bracket.
- It comes with an inbuilt hose.
- It has a lock, inspection hatch, and compact housing.
- It has a two-year warranty.
- The pipe is stiff.
- It is heavy.
- It has a plastic bracket.
Giraffe Tools Stainless Steel
- It comes with a two-year warranty.
- It has a wall mount.
- It has a large capacity.
- It is made of steel.
- It is heavy.
- The expansion screws aren’t usually tight.
- The guide system regulator has a loose switch.
RL Flo-Master 65HR8 Retractable Hose Reel
- Its retractable spring has a stopper.
- It is shipped with an automatic guide.
- It has mounting brackets which allow up to 180-degree swivel.
- It includes a carrying handle.
- It is difficult to retract as it gets old.
- It has low water pressure.
Liberty Garden Non-Rust Cast Aluminum Wall-Mounted
- It is a great choice for home gardening.
- It can be installed easily on studs behind walls.
- It rotates easily.
- It has an antique finish.
- It lacks mounting hardware.
- Its brass swivel doesn’t stay put.
The above-mentioned garden hose reels are some of the best one available in the market at the moment, but Strongway Parallel or Perpendicular Wall-Mount Garden Hose Reel has the most positive reviews. Though it is heavy, it can handle a strong water pressure due to its 150 PSI rating and is affordable too.