Lawnmower Choosing the Right!
How to Choose a Lawn Mower
When it is time to buy a lawnmower there is a lot to consider. Do you want gas or electric? Riding or push? Mulching or bagging? We will look at the options to help you decide on the best mower for you.
When it is time to buy a lawnmower there is a lot to consider. Do you want gas or electric? Riding or push? Mulching or bagging? Here are a few tips to help you choose the type of lawnmower that is the best for your needs.
First of all, consider how you want your lawnmower to be powered.
Gas Powered –
Most of the lawnmowers on the market are gas-powered, however, there is a trend toward alternate forms of power. The advantages of having a gas-powered lawnmower are you can mow a large area as long as you have gas on hand. No need to plug it in and charge it – just fill it with gas and go. Unfortunately, the advantage is also a disadvantage – you need to have gas on hand. Another disadvantage of a gas-powered mower is the noise. If you like to mow your grass early in the morning before the day gets hot, you run the risk of annoying the neighbors with the noise. A gas lawn mower will give you years of service as long as you keep it running well. Make sure you have a tune-up each fall and spring to keep it in top running condition.
- 140CC OHV GAS POWERED ENGINE: Engine comes equipped with recoil and auto choke. No more fussing with a primer or choke - just pull to start!
- 3-IN-1 CAPABILITIES: Unit has side discharge, rear discharge, and mulching capabilities.
- 21-INCH CUTTING DECK: Efficient cutting deck helps trim grass in one quick pass for an easier yard job.
- DUAL-LEVER ADJUSTABLE CUTTING HEIGHT: Choose from 6 different height settings to suit user’s needs.
- DURABLE WHEELS: Zag Treaded tires measure 7 inches in the front and 8 inches in the back.
Electric Mowers –
Electric lawnmowers have been around for quite some time in one form or another. The beauty of an electric mower is there is virtually no noise. You can mow your lawn at almost any hour of the day without the worry of disturbing the neighbors. An electric lawnmower gives off little or no pollutants so it is good for the environment as well. The disadvantage to an electric mower is you are tethered to a cord. You will have to manage the cord around shrubs and planters which can become difficult. Besides, there is the danger of running over the cord with the mower. An electric lawn mower is great for people who have small yards.
- NEVER STOP CUTTING. Up to 60 minutes of run time with 2 fully charged 2.0AH Battery
- 2.0Ah battery and charger included. Front wheels: 7 Inch
- Brushless motors are more reliable and delivers gas equivalent performance to a 160cc gas engine
- Smart Cut Load sensing technology
- 3-in-1 Mulch, rear bag, and side discharge
Cordless Mowers –
Like the electric mowers, a cordless lawn mower is quiet and environmentally friendly. However, you are not restrained by a cord. The cordless electric lawn mower uses a rechargeable battery for power. This type of mower is good for people with small to medium-sized yards – depending on the longevity of the battery. If you have very tall or thick grass or a large yard, you may have to mow your grass in shifts charging the battery in between or consider buying an extra battery. There are many different styles and brands of cordless lawn mowers on the market today with more being offered all the time.
- No pull cords, gas, oil, tune-ups, carbon emissions or tangled extension cords
- Powerful brushless motor increases battery efficiency, maximizes motor performance, decreases noise and vibration and extends motor life
- Compact design ideal for small to mid-sized lawns. Cutting options - Bag and discharge chute
- 6-position height adjustment lever tailors grass cutting height from 1.18 to 3.15 Inch
- ETL approved; Energy Star certified.Deck Material:ABS Plastic
Push Reel Mower –
The push mower brings back images of the middle of the last century when people typically used a reel-type mower to cut their grass. These mowers are completely human-powered so they are quiet – unless you consider the huffing and puffing of the person using it! These mowers are good for small yards unless you want a serious workout. If you are considering a push reel mower, look for one with a safety shield across the blades.
- Make lawn mowing enjoyable with an advanced reel mower that’s 60% easier to push than other reel mowers
- InertiaDrive reel is designed for all grass types, delivering twice the cutting power to glide through tough spots and StaySharp cutting system cuts without unwanted contact, greatly reducing wear for long-lasting performance
- New reversible grass chute can be positioned to direct clippings forward, away from your feet, or backward and downward
- StaySharp cutting system cuts without unwanted contact, greatly reducing wear for long-lasting performance without costly annual blade sharpening
- Inset wheels allow the blades to extend across the mower’s full width, eliminating uncut strips and edges near foundations and fences
When it comes to choosing a push or riding lawn mower it comes down to yard size and personal preference. If you have a very large yard or a hilly property, a riding lawn mower is a good choice. Push mowers are good for small to medium yards. However, with the self-propelled mowers on the market, many people choose to go with a push mower and use the mowing time as an exercise time as well.
Too Much or to the Bag?
Another question a lot of consumers have is whether or not to bag their clippings. Again, this boils down to personal preference and yard waste options. If you have yard waste pick up as part of your regular garbage pick-up then consider getting a bagging lawnmower and let the clippings go to the community compost facility. Another option is to start your compost bin in your yard. Fresh grass clippings mixed with other organic material make healthy compost for your garden.
Another option is to get a mulching mower. These mowers are designed to clip the grass into very small clippings that go back into the lawn as mulch. The advantage to these mowers is – no waste to bag and they help the lawn retain moisture. The disadvantage is the build-up of clippings can cause a thick thatch layer in your lawn so you will need to de-thatch or power rake the grass each spring.
A good lawn mower will last for many years with proper care. Finding the mower that will best suit your needs is worth the time and effort. You will be pleased with the lawnmower you choose if you know the facts.
Buy a Lawnmower
A Lawnmower is quite an investment for a gardener. Many criteria should be considered when making your choice: the surface to mow, the width of the cut, and the type of traction. Here’s a look at what’s available.
The main criterium to consider is the size of the surface to be mowed. A simple manual lawnmower Shop is will largely suffice for small surfaces, providing you mow regularly. It is inexpensive and ecological. But if you can’t mow regularly (in the case of a holiday residence for example) or if you have a large surface to mow, you should consider buying a more sophisticated type of mower. There is a vast range of models available.
For small, regular surfaces without borders, the best choice is an electric mower. This is easy to use and requires little maintenance.
For larger surfaces (over 500m²) or for lawns that are far from a source of electricity, a mower with a thermal engine is recommended. The advantage of this model is that it is autonomous – there are no wires that will get in the way when maneuvering it. On the downside, a mower with a petrol engine is noisy and requires regular maintenance and certain precautions must be taken during the winter.
Many models of thermal mowers are available. They differ according to the power of the engine, the width of the cut, and also in the way they are pulled. Depending on the type of land to be mowed and the presence of borders, you should opt for a mower whose movement you can control easily if the lawn contains obstacles to be avoided. For a large unobstructed surface, a walk-behind lawnmower shop is best.
For surfaces between 1,000m² and 2,000 m² choose a ride-on mower. A lawn tractor is best for surfaces over 2,000m².
In all cases, choose a model that has a grass catcher, as this will save you time and effort after cutting. Apart from the models dealt with above, another option is a robotic lawnmower shop which runs on solar energy, suitable for an unobstructed, flat lawn.
Did you know?
- Electric or thermal hover mowers are generally easier to handle, especially on slopey surfaces. However, these models can’t be fitted within a grass catcher.
Greenworks 20-Inch 12 Amp Corded Lawn Mower 25022
- Durable 20-Inch Steel Deck
- Powerful 12 Amp Motor
- 3-In-1 (Mulching, Side Discharge, and Rear Bag)
- 7-Position Single Lever Height Adjustment
- Push Button Start. Drive system: manual
- Foldable Handles For Compact Storage
- 10-Inch Rear / 7-Inch Front Wheels
- Durable 20-inch steel deck
- Powerful 12 Amp Motor
- 3-In-1 (Mulching, Side Discharge, and Rear Bag)
- 7-position single lever height adjustment
- Push button start. Drive system: Manual
American Lawn Mower 1204-14 14-Inch 4-Blade Push Reel Lawn Mower
- Deluxe hand-reel mower ideal for most turf grasses
- It provides a clean, precise, scissor-like cut. Rear grass deflection
- Tempered Alloy Steel Reel and Bed Knife Blade. Smooth-spinning blades, easy-roll wheels, and height adjustability
diameter high impact, polymer wheels With a 4 Blade Reel
- 1/2- to 1-3/4-inch cutting height; 14-inch cutting width; Lightweight at only 19 pounds
- 5-blade reel with a cutting width of 14” and durable 8.5” polymer wheels for maximum maneuverability
- Mechanical lawn mower with an adjustable blade height of 1”-1.75” with scissor action cut
- Manual grass cutter blades made of heat-treated alloy steel that stays sharp for years
- Planet-friendly alternative to gas-powered lawn mowers which is pollution-free and noise-free; Low maintenance, lightweight and easy to use
- Capable of cutting grass up to 4 inches tall