Table of Contents
How to Plan and Design Garden Project?
Before embarking on the adventure, the designer of a project garden must ask some basic questions in terms of landscape, how to live the project garden on a daily basis, the financial means available for the realization of the project and, beyond, for the acquisition of maintenance equipment, but also on the weekly time that the owner can devote to the management of his garden.
FIRST AREA OF REFLECTION
What are the owner’s tastes when it comes to gardening?
– Will the garden and the orchard be the centerpieces of the garden?
– Is the collection garden with rare plants a priority?
– Does the nature garden correspond more to the desired spirit?
– Will the structured and controlled garden, equipped with many beautiful hybrid plants, be better?
– Would a mix of these types of accommodations be more appropriate and educational for children?
SECOND AXIS OF REFLECTION
How is it envisaged to “live” the garden?
– By contemplating it from the inside as a simple painting, by the embrasures of the living rooms (kitchen, living room, dining room …)?
– Admiring it during frequent strolls or days to fully live this life, to observe the evolution of fauna and flora, to delight in the beauty of the elements and intoxicating scents?
– By making the garden an extension of living rooms by the development of a beautiful terrace with a pool with fish or a fountain for the pleasure of listening to the lapping water moving?
– Mixing these different ways to live the garden with passion?
THIRD AXIS OF REFLECTION
What are the human and financial resources available for:
– The layout,
– Maintenance equipment (mower, motorbike, brush cutter, small tools, organic fertilizer …) and the warehouse room (between 4 and 8 m² according to the equipment),
– The long-term management of the garden? A member Will the family be sufficiently invested or should there be a budget to involve a professional on the basis of an annual maintenance contract or only for interventions.
– which require equipment and specific physical abilities?
AFFIRM YOUR STYLE
Whether you are an individual or a professional, it is essential to discover and affirm your style when it comes to landscaping. To determine this, your own analysis of separate type gardens will be the most concrete teaching. You will identify the configurations, the compositions and the elements that attract you, speak to you, move you. If any specialized literature can bring you many ideas, it is desirable to associate and confront them with those that will arouse the visit to the gardens in your area or your holiday location. These two sources of inspiration make it possible to observe different ways of living the garden through concrete examples of landscaping and to identify one’s own philosophy in this area.
Necessary to Analyze one’s Environment
It is necessary to analyze one’s environment, to listen to one’s feelings in order to discern the link between same and the place: a sensory approach that is not always obvious but that allows apprehending all the elements likely to constitute the specificity of a personal style. For this approach to be rich in lessons, we will momentarily release its prejudices to analyze the visited area with a fresh eye. If suddenly, we feel a well being, a vibration, we will take the time to question this feeling. We decipher the perspective, the massif, the wall … we observe, to understand which elements act precisely on us. Are these components (plants, materials), the scale applied to space …?
This massif makes me vibrate, but what elements move me? His or her forms, its textures, its colors …? I like this terrace but why? Is it because of its lining, its scale, its southwest orientation, the intimacy of the place… ? This perspective is sublime but why? Is it due to the depth of its different plans, rhythm, alternations, lines, and volumes, vegetal choice … or my dominant position?
During this analytical step, you will find that certain elements of geometry and atmosphere make you vibrate regularly. Note them, or even draw them schematically, as well as all the hints of camouflage, enhancement … likely to be used in a project.
These remarkable and appreciated constants, having invariably conquered your impassibility during the discovery of various compositions or gardens, are a reflection of the experiences and representations correlated with your sensitivity.
These constants, inadequacy with your personality, will characterize your style and will be used, reconsidered, revisited and adapted, according to your receptivity, to the configuration of the place and the desiderata of the residents.
This approach is very productive. Since we know how to determine what resonates with itself, we find the essential inspiration for the realization of a project. Be careful, referring to design reasons does not mean copying/pasting.
This would be a mistake, for two main reasons:
– The reproduction will not reflect your philosophy, your personality and therefore will not characterize your style as a designer;
– The scenography will not fit into the context (it will not be adapted to the geology, the climate, the topography, the architectural and landscape environment).
Adapt the observed planning patterns to residents’ philosophy and contextual situation of the garden is a fundamental step. The apprehension of the universe of the residents leads to choices of arrangements defining an order of the spatial relations between the objects, the vegetative masses, the equipment… This general ordering must be convincing, that is to say readable. It is he who gives his identity to each garden and it is also this uniqueness that makes the richness and originality of landscape art. This approach nourishes the imagination and passes by the appreciation of the aesthetics of the garden and the reading of the expressiveness related to the interaction of the landscape elements.
The Garden is Like the Art
The art of the garden is like the art of the table, there is no fixed recipe. The choice of architectural design and style will result naturally answers obtained according to the three axes of reflection listed above. Also, I propose you a whole set of ingredients, spices, condiments, associated with some small tricks, that it seems to be useful to know to develop his sense of the observation, his capacity of analysis, his imagination and his creativity.
They will allow you to make your own “recipe” according to your emotions and your means, or those of your sponsor, to develop the project and achieve the desired universe. In this case, the adage “think before acting” will be the theme of this adventure with your garden.