Diversity within the genus Yucca Tree is not well known to the general public and its use in the garden is rather limited because of the dangerousness of certain species of yucca. However, yucca tree is good outdoor hardiness, drought resistance, and persistent foliage are ideal for composing a sustainable exotic decor in the open ground or a pot.
So many reasons to adopt the “Yuccatitude”! Monocotyledon, formerly classified in the family LILIACEAE, the Yucca has been since 1985 attached to the family of AGAVACEAE but, unlike agaves, monocarpic plants, yuccas do not die after flowering. The genus Yucca tree comprises about 50 species and more than 150 hybrids come to expand the range of this xerophyte plant.
Originating from the American continent, they grow to the state spontaneously in various environments – mountainous, coastal, desert – and can undergo snow and cold enough intense, but still in dry condition. Some species grow beyond 2,500 m altitude. Few species are commercially available but over the last ten years, the yucca tree has come back on the market, and its use in typical developments “Dry gardens” progress.
Gardeners have a bad picture of yucca tree because they have in mind the aggressive bush of Yucca gloriosa or Yucca aloifolia. Yet, there are many less aggressive forms. The charm of Yucca rostrata and many others do not leave indifferent, especially as they are easily adaptable to the garden in however taking some precautions.
- Adds an interesting splash of color to modern indoor decor
- Complete with round sand-colored bowl planter with River rocks
- Lush Green leaves fan out from a robust stem
- Made with care from the finest materials
- Dimensions: 3.5' H x 20W x 20D
A Xerophyte Not so Cold
Their resistance to cold is remarkable if the soil is well-drained and stays dry in winter down to -30 ° C for Yucca glauca! On the outside, check that the roots are not stagnating water especially for the potted culture, otherwise, the combined gel moisture could be fatal.
Raised beds can be made to accentuate the draining. At planting, dispose of coarse elements pebble types, gravel at the bottom of the hole, and dial a fair mixture of coarse sand, pozzolan, and frank earth to garnish the plantation pit. The collar must be kept dry, a 10 cm mineral mulch pozzolan can be placed on the surface for species sensitive to winter humidity.
Even though yuccas trees are very resistant to drought thanks to water storage present in the fleshy stems and the foliage, watering during the summer season is necessary the first years after planting, to ensure optimal growth. It is best to install them in the ground as soon as the soil warms up, to facilitate their acclimatization. A hot and sunny situation is advocated, even if many species support the half-shaded situation at the expense of a less generous bloom.
A Delicate Toilet
Beware of interventions around yuccas, most species have aggressive, pungent foliage even cutting. Each leaf ends with a sharp point more or less dangerous depending on the rigidity of the foliage.
The edge cutting thick and stiff leaves of the Spanish dagger (Y. aloifolia) makes it one of the most aggressive species, cut sharp ends, and handle with care. It is recommended to remove old leaves from rosettes that have bloomed, which brings more aestheticism and secures the operations around the yucca tree.
A Spectacular Flowering and Edible Tree
Flowering usually occurs in early summer and some species bloom again in the fall. The floral spike information is often colored pinker or less supported. Then the panicle rises and opens gradually to make room for flowers in bells white or cream, sometimes tinged with brown.
The perianth is composed of 3 to 4 white petals and as many slightly more colorful sepals on the back end with a dark point. Ovary in the yucca tree is superb, unlike agaves (inferior ovary). The flowers, slightly nutty, are edible fresh in salad and can be used in donuts.
Specific pollinators absent in Europe
Fruiting rarely occurs in France because there is no insect adapted. In its original habitat, fertilization is carried out thanks to a primitive Micro-Lepidoptera nocturnal, close to the moth, which carries pollen in its mandibles and lays its eggs at the base of the flowers, allowing the caterpillars to feed on a few seeds. The durability of both species is ensured.
The capsule-shaped fruits contain many black seeds. For seed multiplication, it will take about 5 years before the first bloom. Vegetative propagation (discards, cuttings of underground stems, or stumps aerial) makes it possible to obtain young plants more quickly. Some variegated horticultural forms are multiplied in vitro.
The Enemies of the Yucca Tree
Young foliage is sometimes attacked by snails. Better to intervene quickly, otherwise traces unsightly will persist throughout the season. They can also partially nibble the young flower buds, harming the beauty of future flowering. A bit of anticlimax organic in spring and a manual fight will avoid easily this type of damage. Black aphids can also disturb the flowering.
For pot culture, beware of mealybugs with shells that are going to cause the withering of the plant. Regular manual crushing, followed by wiping leaves with a soap-soaked sponge black helps to fight effectively against this insect. At the end of the winter, as soon as the temperatures soften, black or brown leaf spots appear.
This is a fungal disease due to the combination of cold and winter humidity. The most leaves old people are the most affected, just cut them to restore a good pace and prevent the spread of the fungus. The rapid development of new leaves healthy will quickly forget this uncomfortable step.
Adopt Yucca Tree Altitude!
If you choose the right species and ensure good drainage, cultivation is easy on the ground or in pots. In my private garden between Nantes and Angers (Le Fresnesur-Loire), I have thirty different taxa installed without winter protection. Association with ornamental grasses, some perennial or succulent plants under growing conditions close allows to highlight the graphics of this poorly known plant and realize original plant scenes for an exotic decor guaranteed!
- Several shoots of Sharp Green leaves sit atop highly-detailed stems with this artificial giant yucca Tree. With its UV-resistant foliage, it'll bring a desert inspired look to your backyard patio space.
- Shop with confidence knowing our floral and plant collections. . . "Looks so real, they're Nearly Natural! " Pioneers in our industry; Nearly Natural is the first artificial floral company to hire head Designers with years of experience in the live plant industry. We source products with a sound and in-depth knowledge of our industry. . Nature
- Overall product dimensions: 66 in. H x 25 in. W x 18 in. D; planter/vase dimensions: H: 6 in. W: 6 in. D: 6 in. Silk trees are manufactured using synthetic materials and are well designed and constructed to be life-like in appearance. Measurements are from the bottom of the pot/planter to the furthest extended leaf or branches on the tree. Width Dimensions are also calculated from each furthest outstretched Dimension.
- No maintenance required; no watering. Looks full and fresh every day. Weather ready! - display this tree outside and it will Brave the elements well. Will resist UV rays to keep your tree looking perfect for years to come.
- Beautifully enhances a patio space. Exquisite sword-shaped greenery. Uses quality handcrafted materials. Requires no maintenance.
- INDOOR-OUTDOOR- The Artificial Tropical Yucana tree is beautiful for inside the home, and sturdy enough for outdoor use. With a planter included, it is the perfect statement decoration piece that will enhance any space inside or outside of the house.
- REALISTIC DESIGN- Standing at 51 in. tall, this quality topiary truly replicates a real plant- nobody will be able to tell that it’s a fake! With a natural trunk and UV resistant rubber leaves, this tree is a vibrant addition to your home décor.
- EASY CARE- With this faux Yucana, you won’t have to deal with watering or making sure it receives proper sunlight. Topiary is light enough to be moved easily and leaves can simply be wiped clean when needed. A beautiful plant without the upkeep!
- PRODUCT DETAILS- UV resistant rubber leaves, 7-inch Pot. Dimensions: 51 Inch x 21 Inch x 21 Inch. Weighs 9.9 pounds.
- SATISFACTION GUARANTEED- Pure Garden is committed to providing consumers with the absolute best price and value on our products. NOTE: This is an exclusive product of Pure Garden and ONLY Artificial Tropical Yucana Tree is GUARANTEED to be genuine.