DIY Garden Fence Tips for Building a Vegetable Garden Fence
It should come as no surprise that you will not be the only one enjoying your fresh harvest if you do not have a vegetable garden fence protecting your hard work. Deer, rabbits, raccoons, opossum, and many other wild creatures are grazers by nature, and will not distinguish your garden as anything other than a wonderful buffet set before them. Unless it is your intent to feed the natural neighborhood, building an appropriate and effective barrier will put more food on your table at harvest time.
Planning a vegetable garden is an activity that many gardeners look forward to in the cold, dreary days of winter. Choosing which vegetables to plant, how much of each variety to plant and how much area the garden will need to cover are some of the considerations that will need to be addressed. It can be an exciting time and an event in which the entire family can participate. When spring arrives, the time for planning is over and the time for putting plans into action begins. Preparing the soil and planting the seeds followed by careful maintenance of weeding and watering as the plants emerge from seedlings and into fruitful plants will bring visions of bountiful harvests at the end of the growing season.
The first signs that these concepts may be going awry will be telltale footprints in the well-tilled garden soil and slender plants stem stripped of their green leaves. Some of the plants may disappear completely overnight; only a small nub peeking out from the ground as a reminder. Because of the lack of a vegetable garden fence, various creatures have assumed that the garden you so lovingly planted was done in their honor, and helped themselves to the delicate, young plants. It is not too late; the remaining plants can be saved from the ravenous feeders by erecting a barrier to keep the animals out.
You will need to become familiar with the animals that are invading the garden to know how to keep them out. Deer are inquisitive grazers and will sample any and all plants growing in the garden. They are also exquisite jumpers; capable of clearing obstacles reaching over 8 feet in height. Fencing to prohibit deer from accessing your garden will require tall, tightly meshed fencing material that is approximately 8 feet tall. Deer are also able to crawl under fencing, so it is important to stake or secure the fence to or below ground level.
Small animals such as rabbits, gophers, skunks, raccoons, and opossum can be equally as destructive in your vegetable garden. A shorter fence can be erected for these critters if there is no deep threat in the area. Two or three feet tall is generally sufficient for size, with the construction of fine wire mesh recommended. For a more natural appearance, bamboo or wood fencing can be a consideration; other options include aluminum, wrought iron, and chain link fencing materials. Many gardeners opt for green-tinted wire mesh, which tends to blend in with the surrounding green landscape and not provide an eyesore in the backyard.
Electric fencing is also an option for a vegetable garden fence; however, if small children are part of the household this can pose a danger. A more expensive yet highly effective choice is that of a sonic fence. Using sound instead of the shocks that electric fencing produces, sonic fencing can detect creatures 50 feet away and act as a barrier for deterring unwanted grazers in the garden.
Garden Fence Amazon Products
Keeping your vegetable garden protected from nature’s creatures will put more of its harvest on your dinner table at the end of the season. Using a fence that effectively keeps critters out and your hard work safe is the answer to a gardener’s prayers.
Decorative garden fencing not only has an attractive appearance. One of its most prominent features is to provide security protection. It can help to keep unwanted guests off your yard. Besides, the garden fencing panels make installation quite easy. Garden fencing is typically decorative, and it also serves as a visible barrier.
In general, Garden fencing can be divided into the wrought iron fence and wooden privacy fence. A wooden privacy fence is mainly made of large wooden panels placed close to each other with no gaps in between. Basically speaking, this kind of garden fence is pretty large and usually more than six feet tall. It brings great difficulty for climbing, as it is mainly a flat surface and the top ends of the vertical wooden boards may be in the form of a pointy 90-degree angle.
Garden fence has a wide range of applications in our daily life. Maybe you will use it for prevention of burglary; perhaps you don’t want naughty children to tread on the garden which is meticulously attended by you, or you may just want to keep your pets from wandering out into the street. No matter what kind of reason it is, the two forms of decorative garden fencing (wrought iron fence and wooden privacy fence) are absolutely ideal for security protection.
The beautiful decorative garden fencing that you can buy from amazon fence garden supply, cannot only protect your garden but also be in harmony with the surrounding garden view. Basically, a variety of decorative garden fencing are available, including welded wire fence, plastic coated fence, woven wire fence, undulated wire mesh fence, and crimped wire fence, etc
Vegetable Garden Fencing
With the price of food sky-rocketing, folks all avenues of life are realizing the knowledge of returning to the methods of the grandma and grandpa by planting an outdoor. Growing your personal lettuce, red-colored all kinds of peppers and taters can definitely shave a couple of dollars from the grocery bill. And, nothing can quite rival the exquisite taste from the first ripe tomato selected fresh out of your own little patch of earth.
Regrettably, while there are much pleasure and gratification in heading to select the items of the labor, it may be truly heartbreaking to obtain there and discover that other little hungry mouths have beat you to definitely home plate. Many wildlife love crunchy, fresh produce. These beady-eyed animals don’t miss a trick. Even pets can ruin your valued potager, so consider setting up a safe and secure garden fence to make certain your product is protected from hungry burglars.
Most fence producers have a website and catalogs featuring several fencing types specific to every problem or pest. Fences are available in wire and mesh types, electric or non-electric. Mesh fences could be taken lower in the finish of the summer season and rolled away for winter storage.
Bunnies and deer are the two most destructive unwanted pests. Cute, but aggravating, they present a significant challenge. For bunnies, a minimal fence of small gauge wire, or the internet might be all that’s required, but when they’re persistent an electrical fence might be known as for. Deer can scale great levels. While many people have experienced success having a five feet high electric wire or internet fence, others have needed to turn to more pricey and permanent measures. The easiest method to safeguard your garden from marauding deer is by using Cattle Sections.
Cattle sections can be found for the most part Garden and Garden Supply Store. They’re heavy grade, gal mesh sections 16′ x 5′ and 52″ high. They may be wired to metal T-posts for any semi-permanent fence – well suited for keeping out large dogs- or they may be nailed to pre-set 4×4, treated wooden posts, using durable staples. Only one won’t do. For the best results, set longer, 12 feet 4×4 posts, one each and every corner from the garden, and every 8 ft among. Nail the sections towards the posts, one over the other, therefore developing a sturdy ten feet high fence.
Fencing with bamboo
One of the increasingly popular types of fencing materials, both in the USA and around the world, is bamboo. The benefits are many and the drawbacks are minimal.
One of the most cited reasons for picking bamboo as a fence material is the fact that it is good for the environment. Being a type of grass rather than a timber it is very quick to grow. When it is harvested, the roots of the plant are not affected, meaning that it can swiftly replenish the shoots.
Despite being a grass, bamboo poles can be incredibly strong. Compared with many kinds of wood, bamboo is more than capable of holding its own. As a result, a forest of bamboo can produce more than 20 times the material that a forest of hardwood can provide.
Bamboo can provide a very elegant and exotic look to a garden. It has a unique texture, and it can be styled in different ways. If you have a particular color scheme, you can stain the bamboo to match, or else you can allow it to age naturally whereupon it will gradually turn from tan to grey.
While traditional wooden fences, such as those made from pine, cedar or fir have been popular for generations, people have become more aware of the impact that humans have on the planet, causing the bamboo to increase in popularity. As it takes much less time to grow back, a bamboo forest can be used many times compared to a slow-growing hardwood forest.
Garden Fencing Tips
Gardens, when planned to perfection offer you a connection with nature. To have a beautiful garden, you must also think about the security and privacy it can offer. Here’s a look at garden fencing tips, so you can choose the best option available.
Gardens form one of the most important parts when it comes to the outdoor decoration of any home. When it comes to the residential or the public gardens, these are planned with great care and consideration so that these look attractive and are also easy to maintain. Planning a garden requires proper coordination of various elements such as the outdoor water fountains, garden pools, decorative figures, and garden furniture. These elements when planned well in advance; help to add to the beauty of the place.
While planning all the design elements of the garden to give it an aesthetic appeal, one point that is often overlooked in the garden fencing. Most people use expert advice on the beautification of the garden but forget the importance of the garden fencing and how it can help to protect it in the best way possible. The privacy and the shelter factor are very important for your garden. This can help protect not only the beautification of the garden but also the plants that grow out here. When it comes to garden fencing, one must give serious consideration to the choice of the fencing. You can go in for specific garden fencing panels, bamboo fencing, vinyl fencing, etc that would best suit your needs. But there some basic garden fencing factors you may need to consider before installing one in the outdoors. The garden fence depends not only on the materials, but the selection should also be dependent on various aspects.
Some exclusive Garden Fencing Tips
- Try to know the reason for the installation of the garden fence. Security is the prime concern in such cases. For this, some designs of the garden fence can have spikes attached to it to prevent trespassers from climbing into your garden. These spikes are also available in a variety of designs from the really dangerous kinds to the more subdued variety. If you wish to avoid these spiked structures, you can even try to have thick brambles or plants that are very spiky and can cause discomfort to the intruders and prevent them from entering the garden.
- Bamboo fencing is a popular option when it comes to the decorative element. Bamboo fencing not only look exotic and are environmentally friendly, but are also available in a wide variety of colors and can range from simple to the versatile designs. These kinds of garden fencing panels are available in traditional styles such as the Kenninji, which is a classic style that consists of panels of bamboo poles, which have no gaps between them. Bamboo fencing is very popular but the only problem out here would be the fact that it is not very rot-resistant.
- Another kind of garden fencing panels is the wood garden fencing. These are not only attractive; they also offer the right amount of privacy despite displaying the beauty of the garden. You can use these lattice garden fencing panels to even support the growth of the shrubs and the plants. There are many decorative plants available such as vines that can be used to lend an aesthetic appeal to the garden fence.
- Vinyl fencing is yet another option for garden fencing panels. These are known to sport the beauty of the wooden fences and are widely used because they are low on maintenance. These although, are on the expensive side as compared to the wooden fences but the reason why most people opt for this option is because of the fact, that they are easy to clean, do not crack or chip and if they get grimy, all one needs to do is wash them with a strong jet of water, from the spray hose.
- Consider the climatic conditions of the area where you reside. If your area is very windy then you need to know the strength of the garden fence. Sometimes, concrete posts are used to keep the fence firm in place. Know the advantages of the fence you choose and try to see which kind best suits your area.
- A look through the stores would reveal kits that are designed for those people who wish to install the garden fences without the hassle of including professional help. These do-it-yourself kits offer some latest, snazzy designs and can be erected by any person who does not even know the basics of garden fencing.
- Another versatile garden fencing tip would be the concept of border edging. These are mainly used for decorative reasons and in such cases; one uses the wire garden fence to create small accents or redwood blocks that can be used to craft a curved border for the garden. These can be used to create different patterns of borders and can add an elegant look to any garden. They also offer a beautiful backdrop.
Once you plan your garden using these garden fencing tips, I am sure you will definitely enhance not only the looks but also the security factor of your green paradise.
Table of Contents