How to Grow Cucumbers Indoors in ContainersHow to Grow Cucumbers Indoors in Containers?
Latin Name: Cucumis sativus
Many types of cucumbers, either for pickling or slicing, have gained popularity in home gardens over the years. The main consideration for cucumbers is real estate, as they require substantial amounts of space to thrive. Those working in smaller spaces should consider training vines onto vertical structures to increase the growing surface of the garden. They can also be grown in containers, a good option for residential farmers The cucumber ranges in size from the small gherkin type to the long, thin, slicing variety. There are also yellow and fruited varieties. A gardener has a great number of options when selecting what type of cucumbers to include in the vegetable patch.
Cucumbers are a subtropical crop, requiring long warm days, plenty of sunshine and balmy nights. Many new cultivars have been bred to produce shorter growing seasons, making them ideal for cooler climates. Cucumbers thrive best at relatively high temperatures, 65-75 degrees Fahrenheit is the ideal temperature range. The plants will die in frost conditions. Since it can grow quickly, it must be well supplied with moisture and plant nutrient elements throughout the growing season.
Cucumbers can flourish successfully in many types of soils. The preferred soil is loose, sufficiently drained and adequately supplied with organic matter and plant nutrients. Work in organic matter such as well-rotted manure or compost before planting. The soil pH should be between 6.0 and 7.0.
Lime and fertilizers are best applied using soil test results as a guide. Over-fertilization interferes with the production of the fruit.
|Lighting Needs:||Full sun|
|Soil Type:||Mildly acidic, Neutral|
|Hardiness Zones:||3 to 10|
The methods and principles for growing cucumbers indoors are very similar to that of many indoor plants.
There are certain requirements that you should follow if you want to get the most out of your efforts.
The cucumber is thought to originate from Eastern Africa/Asia and has been grown indoors by people, it is thought, as far back as the ancient Egyptians.
Information to get started growing cucumbers indoors in your home
Choosing & Planting the seeds
What you need to know about which seeds you should pick for the best crop.
You should aim to grow AT LEAST 2 plants for pollination purposes.
Light & Temperature
How to provide the correct environment for your plants to ensure growth.
- ★ 【Plant spectrum】-Red and Blue LEDs 64pcs With Wavelength 620-630nm,Blue Wavelength of 460 nm this Red and Blue Light is More efficient and Beneficial for Photosynthesis, best for Flowering and Seed Production.
- ★ 【Solar Spectrum】-Warm light 32pcs LED With Wavelength 3500K,is More efficient The Light effect of the Sun is More Conducive to the Germination of Seeds and the Rapid Growth of Seedlings.
- ★ 【Efficient full spectrum 】Red/Blue and Warm Light LEDs 96pcs Full Spectrum Light effect, suitable for many kinds of plants,indoor Succulents, orchids, Vegetable Plants and Seeds,Nursery Plants growing,Flowering and Fruiting,
- ★ 【Upgraded Cycle Time】: it Comes With Three Timer Setting 4H/8H/12H Cycle Time.Auto ON & OFF Every Day, ( Lights Can Automati Cally Turn OFF After the Stipulated Time and Cycle to the next Day The Turn ON Time, No Daily Manual Operation)
- ★ 【Energy-saving】: Full Spectrum 48 W 96 LED Grow Light Source efficiency, Super Energy Saving (more than 80%). Low energy Consumption & high Brightness,High Value-Added Products,【 Certification】: ETL FCC ROHS CE ,Certification product,High Quality,High Brightness Full Spectrum Indoor Grow Light
-Watering techniques specifically for cucumbers.
Feeding & Nutrition
How to make sure that your plants get all the nutrients that they need in order to survive and produce juicy fruits!
- Use Miracle-Gro Performance Organics All Purpose Plant Nutrition Granules to feed your plants, flowers, vegetables, and herbs
- The shaker jug makes feeding in-ground and container plants easy
- In as little as 7 days you'll start to see results (vs unfed plants)
- Enjoy Miracle-Gro results with organic, all natural ingredients
- Reapply every 4-6 weeks and water regularly for best results
How to ensure that your plants are productive in their indoor environment.
Cucumber plants produce both male and female flowers. Male flowers outnumber the female flowers which can be identified by the tiny cucumbers growing behind the flower.
To pollinate your plant/s, pollen must be transferred from the male flowers to the female flowers. To do this clip a male flower off the plant and peel back the petals to use the flower as a brush. Ideally, you should use males and females from alternative plants for the best results.
How to collect your fruit safely and how to maximize crop growth for the future.