What Types of Soil Testing Kits to Buy?
Most people know what their plants need to thrive. But how would you know if your garden has everything it really needs? Try the floor, of course! And yet, there are many types of soil test kits available that you should know about them.
How should you choose?
I have a lot of information about testing your soil quality, how to do it, and other similar things. And for this case, I can explain in detail all the different types of soil test kits. There are both chemical and digital tests out there, and always the opportunity to have a professional do the test for you. I can help you find professionals who can help you, too.
10 Best Soil Test Kit Reviews
Finally, we will decide which is the best floor test kit for your needs. In this section, we will review the top of the range of home floor tests and offer some ideas about them. We’re going to go through two professional soil testing companies.
1. Luster Leaf 1605 Rapitest Digital Soil Test Kit Type – Chemical/Digital Hybrid
SaleLuster Leaf 1605 Digital Soil Testing Kit for pH, N, P, and K, Just press the test button to get results in a few… Includes pH preferences for over 450 plants with his root.
The 1605 Rapitest Soil Test tool combines NPK macronutrient chemical tests and pH tests with a digital reader. For people who find shaken chemical kits difficult to read, the digital player is a godsend.
Like most such tests, the Luster Leaf 1605 does not replace a complete laboratory test of an agricultural extension or a professional laboratory. It’s just a good fast home option.
Refill capsules and test tubes are available for your reader. You won’t get caught by buying a new player every time! However, you will want to be sure to keep your digital player as clean as possible so that it works optimally. For a new gardener, or for an old hand who just hates color matching with a poorly printed graphic, this is a great option. I consider this a second-best floor test kit among all the options, and certainly a good choice.
- Reads test colors utilizing advanced LED digital technology
- Just push test button to get results in a few seconds
- Includes pH preferences for over 450 plants and how to adjust soil pH
- Booklet has fertilizer guidelines based on nitrogen, phosphorus and potash test results.
- Performs 25 tests: 10 for pH and 5 each for Nitrogen, Phosphorus and Potash
2. Rapitest Premium Soil Test Kit 1663
Rapitest Premium Soil Test Kit for Lawn, Flowers this Garden Tester for Ph, macronutrient N.p.k (80 Test Kit 1663) As a premium kit, this Rapitest soil quality test kit is actually a great deal. With 80 possible tests you can do, this kit measures pH, N, P, and K. It does not offer micronutrient tests, but most household kits do not, so it’s not surprising.
The instructions are a step-by-step guide on how to perform these tests. You will need a little patience, as it may take some time for test results to appear, but it’s even faster than sending land to a laboratory or extension office.
Comes in a sturdy plastic case, and refills are available for different test agents. If you just want a general home test, this is the best soil quality test kit I can recommend. For me, this one even has better results than digital kits. But you will need to have a firm hand to extract the right amount of chemical substance agents from your bottles.
You could feel a little crazy scientist too! In general, I can not recommend this kit high enough, and for chemical substance testing, it is the best soil quality test kit. Get one for your garden supply cupboard, you will be happy that you have done it 2.
3. Luster Leaf 1847 Rapitest Digital PLUS Test type – Digital
Luster Leaf 1847 Rapitest Digital Plus pH Easy-to-read meter Digital output Instant measurement pH level Includes an electronic database… This soil pH meter may not test macronutrients or micronutrients, but it tests something so important.
Without a balanced pH of the soil, your plants simply won’t thrive. To be used as a probe on the soil, you will need to clean the probe rod after each use. 1847 tests the pH at the roots of the plant. Just take your probe clean and insert it into the base of your plant, deep into the soil.
Then wait, and the screen will show the level once the test is complete. It also has a database of popular plants and their favourite pH levels integrated. Trying to optimize for each plant? This unit will help you do exactly that!
- Easy to read digital output
- Instantly measures pH level
- Includes built-in electronic plant database with ability to build favorites list
- Have a look at the user manual below to get detailed usage instructions
- Designed and engineered in the USA
4. Soil Savvy – Soil Test Kit – Smart Soil Professional and Test Soil Expert
Understanding what your lawn or garden floor needs, I’m not sure what your lawn or garden floor needs, I’m not sure what… Simplified soil testing.
Soil Savvy is good. The analysis provides a comprehensive report, composed of. A truly sustainable approach to nutrient fertilizers.
It is difficult to compare professional laboratories at the commercial level, but Soil Savvy is a very popular and highly respected option. All professional laboratories and agricultural extensions carry out essentially the same series of tests and therefore have similar results. Soil Savvy is a little faster to return these results to the person who needs them! Soil knowledge tests for macronutrients and micronutrients.
Nitrogen results show total nitrogen in the sample, as well as nitrate and ammonium levels. Also, the tests give results for phosphorus, potassium, calcium, magnesium, sulfur, sodium, iron, manganese, zinc, copper, boron, and aluminium. If you want a kit that also makes reasonable fertilizer recommendations for you, Soil Savvy should be your choice.
It will offer recommendations for types of organic and synthetic fertilizers, as well as a recommendation on how much fertilizer you should use to improve your soil to its current level. For new soil tests, this is a big plus, and it’s worth the money. Those with experience in soil testing can already go to the ag extension where it will be cheaper or free. Even then, fertilizer recommendations are useful and are worth it in general.
- Soil Testing Simplified! Soil Savvy is a Ready-To-Use professional-grade soil test kit available to the general public that provides an Easy-To-Understand fertilizer recommendation tailored to your specific soil.
- Analysis provides a full report, comprised of soil pH and 14 nutrients including (N,P,K)
- A truly Sustainable approach to fertilizer management, Soil Savvy determines what nutrients are needed by your plants and eliminates over application of the nutrients they don’t need.
- The same soil testing technology used by leading agricultural producers, turf managers and landscapers is now available to YOU the home gardener!
- Each Kit includes all needed components and instructions for use (MSRP: $34.95)
5. Luster Leaf 1880 Rapitest 4-Way Analyzer Test Type: Analog Rapitest
Way Analyzer I have one of these, and I must say, it has its pros and cons. Overall, it’s one of the best floor testing kits purchases you could have made, but it doesn’t fit some of the other options above. Let’s look at it in detail. Unlike all other units mentioned so far, this unit measures sunlight levels as well as macronutrients, soil pH, and soil moisture.
However, I find that your macronutrient test is reached or lost. It does not show the individual macronutrients, so you can not say how much nitrogen is in a given place. Instead, it performs a general “soil fertility” test that detects NPK in the soil and sets averages together. This works great for plants that as a balanced fertilizer, and you can easily identify their basic fertility.
But it does not work so well for heavy nitrogen feeders, or to encourage heavy flowers on their flowering plants, etc. So, for macronutrient tests, this in no way approaches a professional laboratory test. Because the soil moisture is phenomenal. Sunlight levels are also excellent tests, especially if you are building a new garden and need to know how much light your plants will receive. And the pH tester looks pretty accurate to me!
6. Luster Leaf 1601 Rapitest Soil Test Kit
Luster Leaf 1601 Rapitest Test Kit for soil pH, nitrogen, phosphorus, and potash, 1 quick package, Home results for soil pH, nitrogen,… The innovative and economical floor testing kit…
It contains all the necessary components for 40 tests… Widely available, this is the classic chemical kit for the home. Simply place a small sample of soil on the side of the tube of the can, add a little distilled water and a suitable reagent capsule, and shake it.
Let it rest until the color is fully developed, and compare it with your color chart. You will find variants of this type of testing tool available in other places such as small tubes.
However, what 1601 can offer other missing kits is an attached color chart.
There’s no fear of losing your color chart with this soil testing kit: it’s just in the test unit itself. Each testing box manages one of four tests: pH, N, P, or K and can run ten tests without refill packaging. It will never be as accurate or detailed as professional testing. But, if you’re just looking for basic reading, this is an excellent and inexpensive option.
- Save when You buy 2 !!
- 2 Luster Leaf Rapitest Soil Test Kit
- 4 individual color comparators for pH, N,P,K in each one.
- Innovative and inexpensive soil test kit features an easy-to-use capsule system and color comparators
- Contains tests for ph, nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium levels; 40 tests in total
7. AquaChek AccuGrow 571802 Soil Test Strips – Type: Chemical
AquaChek AccuGrow 571802 pH, nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium, soil test strips I am not a big fan of test strip kits. Its accuracy is not accurate; it’s more than one range, so you might still need more testing. But to facilitate their use, they are at the top of the list.
Just mix a little soil with distilled water, shake it, and put it on your test strip. When you remove it, your basic playback is visible. It’s a little easier to read than luster leaf rapitest soil test kit 1609cs, but when I say a little, I should probably say “just a little easier”.
Your comparison table is independent of the test unit itself, so be sure not to lose it. But you can get the two-color bands side by side for the closest estimate that your eyes can see. In general, although this is useful for a baseline, it will not be as useful as a professional test. But if you only need an estimate to find out if you need this professional testing, this is a great option.
8. Atree Soil 3-in-1 Soil Tester Kit
A tree analog pH meter, 3 in 1 soil tester with humidity, light, and pH resistance for the garden, farm, lawn, 3 in 1 functions:
- you can measure soil moisture,
- Easy to use: just insert the probes,
- Compact for indoor and outdoor use
This unit measures pH, soil moisture, and light. It is not stylish, and it is not likely to win prizes for its high level of detail, it works and does exactly what you need to do. For those who need to regularly check their soil pH level, this is a good base unit. In fact, we cover devices like this in our pH meter article.
The sunlight sensor of this unit is located in the front center of the device and is in a strange location. I find that a solar light sensor above the device is more accurate. But for the price, it can not be overcome as a basic pH reader.
- 3-IN-1 FUNCTIONS: You can measure soil moisture, pH value and sunlight intensity. It's helpful for you to plant flowers, plants and make them grow healthy and strong(This soil tester CAN ONLY be used in soil, it CANNOT be used to test any liquids)
- EASY TO USE: Simply insert the probes into the soil about 4-6 inches (2/3 of the probes), and you'll get your reading
- COMPACT FOR INDOOR & OUTDOOR USE: Know when to water, adjust pH, or change lighting for your flowers, plants both indoor and outdoor
- NO BATTERY NEEDED: No batteries or electricity needed, plug and read
- SCIENTIFICALLY ACCURATE: Sensitive probe could sense changes of the soil and transfer details to the conductor, displaying the accurate values for you
9. Whitetail Institute Laboratory Soil Test Kit
Make sure that the most successful food plot possible allows you to save money on nutrient fertilizers and very easy to use time. Everything you need is included. I mean, we got to our last test, and it’s a commercial lab kit. Whitetail Institute offers you a free consultation on your floor with the purchase of your kit.
The consultation is very short on the telephone, which mainly breaks down its results in secular terms. You will also receive a full report with a detailed breakdown of soil nutrients. However, when Soil Savvy offers a prepaid shipping envelope, the Whitetail Institute does not. Not only will you have to buy the testing, but you will have to pay to send your soil sample.
- ENSURE the most SUCCESSFUL food plot possible
- SAVES YOU MONEY on fertilizer and lime
- VERY EASY TO USE - everything you need is included
- RESULTS by mail or email WITHIN ONE WEEK
- Results and recommendations are easy to understand
10. 3 in 1 Soil Moisture Tester Light/pH
Measure soil moisture, pH, and Scientifically accurate:
- easy to read humidity, pH,
- Let him know your soil,
- When to water, to control the pH
This, like the 3-way tester on it, is another pH, moisture, and light tester in the soil. It’s an old design, and honestly, it’s not my favorite device. I find that the ideal visual pH of the meter is too high with a soil pH of 7-8 as “optimal” when we really look for a pH of 6-7 for most plants.
However, a cheap pH meter, it always gives you a reasonable indication of the acidity or alkalinity of your soil (alkaline soil or acid soil). Like the one above in our list, the sunlight sensor is placed strangely. But where this device protrudes is indicative of moisture.
This really helps to ensure that you have the right moisture level for your plants or growing vegetables, not too wet or dry. The two 3-function floor testers we talked about take about 15-20 minutes to reach their most accurate range. Even then, this is a rank, and it certainly will not replace professional tests.
many novice gardeners use this tool to test their water when trying to add growth feed to vegetables and plants with nutrient liquid fertilizers.
You can keep your veggies product healthy with the correct pest and diseases control
- 3 in 1 Soil Tester: Moisture Meter let you know when to water to control the humidity;PH Tester help you to control Ph level in soil;Sunlight Guage help you to determine if plant getting adequate light
- Easy to Use: No Battery needed; Simply insert the probe of the soil testing kit into soil around 2-4 inches, then toggle switch to test moisture, pH, sunlight you would like to measure, just wait for 10mins to get the datas
- Accurate & Sensitive Probe: The 3-in-1 Soil Moisture/Light/pH meter is designed with premium double-needle detection technology, can greatly improve the speed and accuracy of detecting and analyzing soil moisture and pH and acidity
- Indoor & Outdoor Use: Design to be lightweight and portable, easy to carry around for outdoor use.Ideal soil test tool kit for flowers, vegetable,gardens, home potted plants,lawn and farm.(NOTE: Don’t test pH value of any other liquid. If the soil is too dry the indicator will not move, and water it before testing.)
- Test Range: Moisture Range: 1-10 (1-3 Dry, 4-7 Nor, 8-10 Wet); pH Range: 3.5-8ph (3.5-6.5 Acid, 7-8 Alkaline);Relative Light: 0-2000lux (0-200 Low, 200-500 Low+, 500-1000 Nor, 1000-2000 High)
Luster Leaf Rapitest Soil Tester 1609CS
It is important to know the pH, nitrogen (N), phosphorus (P), and potash (K) existing in garden soil. The fastest soil tester is still a great value for home soil testing.
The Testing kit contains all the components needed for (10) tests: (4) for pH, (2) for nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium. Color-coded test tubes are included and allow a color comparison with the color chart (also included). Detailed but simple instructions are included along with recommendations for more than 25 plants.
The results of the tests allow the gardener to modify and fertilize properly to achieve the best possible results.
- Economical soil test kit for testing soil pH, Nitrogen (N), Phosphorus (P) and Potash (K)
- Contains (10) total tests: (4) for pH and (2) for each of N, P and K along with color coded test tubes
- Final assembly done in the USA
- Simple, fast, and accurate results; no experience required to perform tests
- Includes simple, yet complete instructions for adjusting soil conditions
Given the affordable price of the test, it seems a bit contradictory not to have shipping included. The results, however, are comprehensive and certainly deserve to be achieved. You can get similar results in your local ag extension, but if you don’t want to look for this, it’s not a bad lab choice to pass.
Why should you Try your Outdoor Garden Soil and Water?
Like people, plants have special nutrients they need to grow. In fact, each can of fertilizer has a list of the most common – nitrogen, potassium, and phosphorus. There are also other nutrients, such as calcium, that are essential for plant health. When you start in the garden for the first time, it’s important to test your soil to find out what you’re working with. This way you can modify it to meet the needs of what you want to grow.
Without testing, you will not know if your base soil is already well and ready to work, or if you will need a lot of mixing with other materials to improve it enough to be fertile. You can find that you do not need to fertilize at all. Overfertilization can cause problems with plants, causing them to grow erratically. Root bifurcation is common in carrots that have been overfertilized, for example.
Nobody wants a three-legged carrot! But if your soil lacks nutrients, you need to be aware of it in order to repair it. You will also need to know the pH of your soil. Too alkaline or acidic soil will not produce good growth results. Although all plants are different and require different levels of acidity or alkalinity, most resemble a neutral range.
If you do not test your floor, you simply can not determine what you have at hand. And how are you going to ensure the best growth your plants could bear without knowing it?
Read More: What Is The Best Vaporizer or Humidifier