Garden Sheds For Storage
Factors Need to be Considered for Buying the Sheds:
As per the norm, you can have many garden sheds like tool sheds, potting sheds, and even swanky sheds with room to sit. Besides this, there are many types of gardeners with various tastes, purposes, and planning. Garden rooms and studios allow you to work or play in your backyard or outdoors in any natural condition.
These may be costly to some extent and may be pricier than your average spider-friendly shed. But these are essential parts of your home that ease your gardening journey and make it an interesting one. One of the traditional huts is a summerhouse which is more fortified with an added design frame. This range everything from double glazing to
integrated verandas, without necessarily costing the earth. You will have rustic wooden
structures for potting, pottering, and storage to fulfill your needs.
Types of Garden Sheds
1. Traditional Shed
You can use this to store tools and garden pots.
2. Garden room/summerhouse
You can use this as an advanced and insulated one for home offices.
3. Garden pods
If you want something more contemporary and waterproof, it’s a little bit costly.
Read More: Things to Consider When Buying a Garden Shed
The initial thing to remember is why do you want to use the garden shed?
If you need this for your storage solution, then you need to consider the amount and how much it is valuable. Do you think you need to store comprehensive, high-value power tools, then you might consider looking for a bigger and more secure shed than the previous one.
If this is for DIY projects, you need to check the dimensions of the shed. You need to consider whether you have enough headroom and enough room to work and move around. You need to invest in insulation and some form of heating if you plan to spend a lot of time working.
The other important factors are how much space is available for the garden shed. We recommend you measure and mark out the area to make sure you allow room for the door to open and access in and out. Have an intense look at overhanging trees or other obstacles that might affect your shed. If you think space is limited then we suggest corner sheds that fit neatly into right-angled spaces and lean-to styles for fitting snugly along a wall.
Read More: Top 6 Beginner Tips To Maintain Garden Pods
Generally, two types of roof shapes are followed.
It is a triangular-shaped roof, with two sloping sides that meet at a peak in the middle which we see traditionally. You will be offered the most headroom on the inside, and it’s lower on both sides.
It slopes in just one direction. It is generally higher at the front and slopes away to the back of the shed. You will get the most headroom at the front internally of the shed where the door is smaller, and lean-to sheds often have pent roofs that bent to one side.
Garden sheds can be made from plastic, wood, or metal, and each material has its benefits and uses.
These won’t rot, do not require any maintenance, are lightweight, and make the sheds easy to assemble.
This traditional material for a garden shed is wood. The variety in style and shape makes it the best choice. It’s available as a natural material. So wooden sheds blend into their surroundings resulting in long durability. With time it can be warped up but you will get various treatments that will help to care for your garden shed. These are usually covered in felt, but some have tile-effect shingles.
Read More: How Do I Add a Gutter Downspout
It tends to be most secured, so they’re the best option when you need to store valuable items. Besides these are long-lasting and waterproof.
Generally, there are several types of cladding available for wooden sheds. But we consider typically three main styles such as overlap, shiplap, tongue, and groove.
Read More: Different Types of Garden Sheds Storage
These consist of individual strips of wood overlapped and nailed together. The rainwater drains away due to the angle of the panels. This also gives the wood the space to expand and shrink with the weather. It can be a little drafty. It is not for you if you’re planning on spending lots of time working inside. It’s a simple and practical choice for storage.
Tongue and Groove
These both interlock together to keep water and drafts out. These are sturdy with a neat and clear appearance.
This is essentially an advanced version of groove cladding and tongue; shiplap has a scalloped appearance. You will get all the benefits of tongue and groove with the scalloping, which allows rainwater to run off the shed more effectively.
Read More: How to Upgrade Your Outdoor Space Before Summer
07 of The Best Garden Sheds That You Can Buy:
1. The YardStash IV: Heavy Duty, Space-Saving Outdoor Storage Shed Tent Best Overall Product
If you buy The YardStash IV, then we assure you that you are going to have the more versatile sheds. Why?
Because it fulfils a variety of customer demands, it is a mixture of a tent and a shed. Due to its pocket-friendly nature, it is relatively easy to set up and move when compared with other wood and metal builds competitors.
Read More: Best Garden Shed Plans (Building and Ideas) for Beginner
The whole is constructed out of a thick, heavy-duty vinyl tarpaulin; it becomes pretty durable in design. This makes it waterproof and doesn’t tear as easily. Besides this, it is resistant to the Sun’s UV rays making it ideal for campers as well. For easy access, there are bottom zippers that come with storm flaps. Besides this, there is a large rubber tabbed up, which combinedly protects it from dust and bugs. You can store your gardening tools like a lawnmower, bicycle, etc.
The dimension is 74″ x 32″ x 68”, enough space to store a considerable amount of your essential items.
YardStash IV – Outdoor Storage Shed Tent
- Open-air bicycle, stuff, and device stockpiling are more moderate, adaptable, and convenient than correspondingly measured plastic, wood, and metal sheds. Developed totally of thick, hardcore, weatherproof, tear evidence, and UV blur confirmation vinyl canvas, the YardStash IV will rise to Mother Nature and keep your stuff dry – ensured. Worked for all year in outrageous climate conditions and predominant solidness against UV harm. Be careful with modest impersonations!
- Space-saving impression (74 inches wide x 32 inches x 68 inches high, fits two grown-up bicycles with space to save) with incorporated floor to stash hard-to-store stuff like since quite a while ago took care of digging tools, furniture pads, bikes, lawnmowers, coolers, pool toys and more.
2. Custom Garden Shed Kit from Barn Roof | Best for DIY and Assembly
If you want your backyard shed to feel like a fun and exciting project to you, undoubtedly Hopkins Barn Style Roof shed is the best choice for you. It’s amazingly fun to use this kit.
The 2×4 basics brackets make the garage organization of this shed a simple outdoor furniture project. Besides these, 55 sturdy 24-gauge galvanized steel connector brackets keep it sturdy and durable.
Read More: Top Reasons You May Need To Buy A Shed For
There are also an easy to follow instructions that will guide you through all the necessary steps and processes of building your shed. You don’t need any mastery skills in carpentry to get the task done. The challenge is to developing your shades comes with its advantages as well.
Custom Garden Shed Kit from Barn Roof
- Wood excluded from each unit
- Adaptable shed pack with animal dwelling place rooftop
- Incorporates .22 check aroused steel sections, plan plans, and establishment directions
- One pack develops a shed to 10 feet and consolidates units for a shed up to
3. Keter Newton – Large Resin Outdoor Storage Shed Kit
The rugged construction of Keter makes it manage to retain the look of wood, but raw wood is used in favor of composite. It results in long durability and year-round weather exposure. The whole looks range from a natural finish to the texture of its shiplap-style sliding.
In the strategic placement of the steel-reinforced roof, air vents are helping to prevent odor and dampness. The windows set into the double doors allow plenty of natural light.
Keter Newton 7.5×9 Large Resin Outdoor Storage Shed Kit
- Measurements: Exterior: 112. 9 in. L x 89. 9 in. W x 99. 4 in. H/Interior: 103 in. W x 79 in. Dx 92. 2 H
- IDEAL SIZE: Generous capacity limit of 395.5 cubic feet
- Pitch CONSTRUCTION: Made from polypropylene tar plastic and steel fortified to guarantee solidness – won’t strip, decay, or rust and never needs painting, in contrast to genuine wood
- Solid: Weather-safe and too rough and tough with a twofold divider structure, tongue in depression development, and steel support
- LIGHT and AIRY: Skylight and two windows allow in normal light and are vented for air dissemination
- Alluring: Stylish wood-like surface will add polish to any open-air space
- Flexible: Use as a capacity shed for a push grass trimmer, bicycle stockpiling, yard apparatuses, digging tools, and porch furniture
4. Suncast Tremont Storage Shed – Outdoor Storage for Backyard Tools and Accessories
The eight-feet wide and four-feet deep, the wide-yet-shallow Tremont shep provides you with long-term durable items. Its roof, walls, and floor all boast of metal reinforcement. As additional features, there included a wide range of windowed doors and skylights to admit daylight, along with padlock-able door hardware to provide security and peace of mind. As a result, you don’t need a full-size outbuilding. It requires only low maintenance.
Tremont Storage Shed – Outdoor Storage for Backyard Tools and Accessories
- Outside STORAGE: A delightful shed to store and secure your capacity hardware, since quite a while ago took care of apparatuses, stepping stools, and bicycles
- Tough: Multi-walled polypropylene sap boards are designed for durable strength and soundness
- Strengthened FLOOR: Heavy-obligation floor is intended to withstand misuse, supporting your grass trimmer, farm vehicle, or other hefty gear
- Common LIGHT: Ideally positioned arrangement of bay windows and windows gives characteristic light inside without forfeiting primary honesty
- LOCKABLE DOORS: Features a latch hasp that permits ways to bolt safely
- Outside Dimensions: 8 ft. 4-1/2 in. W x 10 ft. 2-1/4 in. Dx 8 ft. 7 in. H | Interior Dimensions: 7 ft. 9 in. W x 9 ft. 9 in. Dx 8 ft. 4-1/2 in. H | Door opening: 60 in. W x 72 in. H
5. Arrow WL65 Woodlake – Low Gable Galvanized Coffee/Woodgrain Storage Shed
Arrow is a trusted name in the shed industry. It is known for its dependable product WL65
Woodlake shed. The six by five feet shed with its pre-cut and pre-drilled feature is very quick to assemble and install in your backyard. The doors are easy to slide open on deep rack glides. It provides you with 147 cubic feet of a storage shed to keep your tools and equipment, and lawn furniture. It is as attractive and durable.
Arrow WL65 Woodlake – Low Gable Galvanized Coffee/Woodgrain Storage Shed
- Get a reasonable look at wood grain. The Woodlake offers simple to-amass capacity answers for each lawn stockpiling need.
- Electro-excited Steel for consumption opposition
- Engaging 2 tone style in Wood Grain and Coffee
- Sliding entryways for simple sections and exits can be latched for additional security
- Sizeable 413 cu ft of extra room
6. Keter Store-It-Out MIDI Outdoor Resin Horizontal Storage Shed
This is the best choice if you are looking for an affordable shed option for an extra storage shed in the garage or outdoors. The shed is composed of polypropylene resin plastic, and steel with its heavy-duty materials can withstand the harshest of weather. This versatile shed can fit you if you need a place to put away pool supplies or if you want to hide your trash cans.
Keter Store-It-Out MIDI Outdoor Resin Horizontal Storage Shed
- Classy Wood-Look Texture In Neutral Colors To Complement Any Home
- Produced using Polypropylene Resin Plastic and Steel Reinforcement To Ensure Its Durability
- Capacity: 30 Cu. Ft. Wash Shed With Mild Detergent And Water, Avoid Abrasive Cleaners
- Implicit Support For (Shelf Not Included)
- Can Store Two 32-Gallon Trash Cans
7. Lifetime 6405 Outdoor Storage Shed with Window
This lifetime is made of high-density polyethylene. The garden shed is eight-foot-wide. There is a lockable steel-reinforced door with a durable slip-resistant polyethylene floor. Besides this has a tiny home with its four large skylights and shatterproof window which let natural light into the dual-colored storage shed space. Additionally, It has a pitched roof to ward off rainwater with nearly seven feet of overhead space.
Lifetime 6405 Outdoor Storage Shed with Window
- A thing may send in more than one box and may show up independently. This open-air stockpiling shed should be based on a level establishment of wood or cement
- Inside Dimensions: 90″ W x 114″ L x 70″ – 94″ H
- The shed incorporates 4 huge lookout windows that permit normal light, 2 screened vents, 1 break confirmation window, and an adaptable racking framework
- High curved, steel-fortified entryways offer a 4-foot wide by 6 feet high entryway opening, lockable entryways with an inward hooking system
- Piercing rooftop uphold a-outline brackets give 6 feet 8 crawls of headroom and the lofty rooftop considers snappy seepage of downpour and day off
- High thickness polyethylene floor included doesn’t break, chip, or strip; slip safe surface with an inclined edge and is impervious to oil and stains
Best Place for Garden Shed Storage
Firstly it’s essential to choose the site carefully and carefully work out what size garden shed you can fit your space. Avoid under trees places, areas with a flood, and places where leaves and branches may fall on the roof.
You should also avoid the sunny spot. If you want to screen it off, then you need space to plant screening hedges. You need to leave the room all around your shed so that you can maintain it when necessary. The Garden needs to be anchored to the ground when it is in an exposed position.
Planning Permission for Sheds
It is essential to consider whether you need planning or permission. If yes, then call your
concerned authority. If you are making your shed in listed properties, homes in conservation areas, or within an area of natural beauty, you need permission first.
Kind of Base your Outdoor Garden Shed Need
The first criterion is, it must be level and secure. We recommended installing a concrete base, laying paving slabs, or using the Hawklok system to create a strong base or any transferable course. It is easy to pour a concrete slab yourself, and the rest is about the level and well-packing surface to start on. Lastly, you can lay flagstones on top before constructing your new shed.
You are recommended to make the base the same size as your shed to keep away from
splashback when it rains. You can add guttering to collect the rainwater for use around the garden.
Garden Shed Maintenance
It is essential to factor in, especially when you don’t understand whether you need to paint or not. If it says that it is “ready to be painted” this certainly means the wood is untreated and needs some kind of protective coat. Instead of painting your shed, you can use a wood stain. It is okay if yours is a Pressure-treated shed, as it is already made weather resistant.
Shed as a Home Office
One of the vital questions is, Can a shed be used from home? Yes, but it is
essential to think about what kind of shed you need to buy if you’re planning to use it. It is not about the size; it is about adequate ventilation and light and a good base if you want to use a shed for working year-round. Besides this, damp proofing and wiring are essential if you’re going to use electricity in your shed.
You can also use of laptop without electricity if it is already charged. We suggest you to not use plastic or metal sheds for home working as both will get hot and stuffy. We highly recommend a wooden, apex shed with a window or a garden room if this is your best bet as a garden office.
Rubbermaid Large Vertical Resin Weather Resistant Outdoor Garden Storage ShedBest Seller
Box All Season Steel Metal Peak Roof Outdoor Storage Shed Best Offer
YardStash Outdoor Storage Deck Box XL: Easy Assembly, Portable, VersatileBest Deal
The Benefits of Having a New Outdoor Garden Shed
It’s the time of year when we are sorting our gardens out after the ravages of winter and starting to plan how our gardens will look for the summer. There will be things that need throwing away, and new things to be bought and the whole time can be a lot of fun. It could also be the time when you notice that your shed is starting to look rather worse for wear, with rotting wood, a leaking roof, and just generally dropping to bits.
While this may seem like a secondary item, garden sheds are actually a very important piece of kit in a garden and can have a negative impact aesthetically if it is past their best. There are so many types of sheds available that whatever you have planned for your garden this summer you will find a shed that both looks great and is functional to your needs.
Read More: Shed Designing Mistakes That You Might Want to Avoid
There are so many different sizes available too that you should sit down and decide exactly what you want to keep in there to make sure you don’t buy one that is either too big or too small. There are also various styles so you can buy one that fits the mood of your garden. Those which can also double as a garden room with a veranda are also popular as they offer some shade when sitting outside on a hot sunny day.
If you have an area for your shed so that it isn’t right in the garden, around the side of the house for example, then you aren’t limited to the style of shed you buy, and aluminum ones are ideal for this kind of location. They are spacious and need minimum maintenance to keep them looking good for years to come.
The problem many find is that their sheds get used as a dumping ground for everything, not just garden equipment and various garden-orientated items. Keeping your garden shed only for gardening items will enable it to be kept much tidier and save the annual ‘shed sort out.
If you don’t want to buy a separate potting shed for the likes of compost and fertilizer invest in a couple of bins to keep them inside your shed to prevent any spillages on the floor. Remember to leave enough space to store any garden furniture through the winter if you don’t have covers or it isn’t made from a waterproof material.