Why Choose Bermuda Grass?
If you are going to be seeding a lawn, you will be taking into account the climate in which you live for choosing your grass seed. If you live somewhere that it is really hot and sunny, then you will want to choose a warm-season grass. A perfect choice for such climates is Bermuda grass, which is bred for just such climates. There are actually five reasons you should consider planting Bermuda grass.
First of all, starting a lawn or filling in dead spots in a lawn can be a real challenge, especially if you have pets. Bermuda grass is actually a very quick growing breed of grass. In addition, it grows with great vigor and density.
No products found.
Bermudagrass is indigenous to tropical and nations that are subtropical. Exactly when it found its way to the U.S. is unclear, but documents dating right back to 1807 show it ended up being already established as one of the primary grasses in southern states.1 Bermudagrass is a warm-season that is perennial, meaning it comes down back every year and grows many actively from belated spring through hot summer months.
Bermudagrass is more sensitive to cold temperatures than warm-season Zoysia grass or cool-season grasses, such as turf-type fescue that is tall. This lack of cool tolerance prevents its WIDESPREAD use north of the region that is grass-growing pros refer to as the “transition zone.” South of that region, from the Atlantic across southern states into California, Bermudagrass is a lawn choice that is leading.
Bermuda grass flourishes in sites with complete, direct sun and drainage that is great. This has heat that is superior salt and humidity tolerance and, unlike Centipede grass, is very drought tolerant, too. Although the bulk of Bermuda’s roots stay within 6 inches of the surface, they can reach 6 legs or more in-depth.1 This root that is considerable provides more resilience against ecological stresses than other warm-season grasses.
- Has an invisible waxy coating which wards off disease and preserves moisture in the leaf for superior drought tolerance
- Possesses species diversity, contains Black Beauty Tall Fescues, elite Kentucky Bluegrass and elite Perennial Ryegrass, produces a dark-green color
- Grows well in clay or sandy soils and in full sun or partial shade
- Contains naturally insect resistant grass
- Cover up to 10,000 sq. ft.
Bermuda Grass Care
With warm-season grasses, month-by-month lawn care occurs on a various timetable than cool-season, northern grasses that peak during fall. Bermuda is better planted in springtime, following the final frost, as warm-season grasses leave dormancy and enter growth that is prime. Overseeding current Bermudagrass lawns with additional Bermudagrass can be performed at additionally this time.
Because of its growth that is aggressive rate Bermudagrass’s care can require more maintenance than other grasses. Monthly fertilization might be needed during peak growth. Similarly, it may be essential to mow twice per week during this time period to keep Bermuda at its height which is recommended to 1 1/2 inches for home lawns. Though the grass is drought tolerant, Bermuda will go dormant during periods of extended drought. Provide it 1 to 1 1/2 inches of water from rain or irrigation that is supplemental to avoid summer dormancy.
- Polymer coated for better water retention
- Grows in full sun
- Enhances germination
- Covers 2, 000 square feet for existing lawns
- Covers 1, 000 square feet for new lawns
Bermuda grass grows best whenever soil pH is between 5.8 and 7.0, but it shall tolerate more alkaline conditions.2 In areas with over soil that is acidic regular applications of lime can be had a need to keep pH at optimal levels for nutrient availability. Centipede grass may be an alternative that is great in those areas. Soil evaluation will expose if your yard is bermudagrass needs or other soil amendments to flourish.
If your plans demand a hardcore, durable, and wear-resistant warm-season lawn that withstands heat and drought, Bermudagrass could be the solution that is perfect. Pennington is dedicated to producing the lawn seed that is finest and premium lawn care products possible, and assist you to learn, develop, and have a healthy, lush, attractive lawn.
So when you are trying to start a lawn or fill in bare spots, quick and vigorous growth is exactly what you are after. In fact, if you don’t edge your Bermuda grass properly it will even grow into flower beds and other places you may not want it to grow.
Secondly, Bermuda grass produces a dense turf with fine texture. That makes it perfect for a yard where you are going to have children playing or pets roaming. Bermuda grass has a fine texture and gives a soft surface for your family to enjoy.
- 98% pure live seed. Never any filler.
- Comes in biodegradable cloth bags.
- Heat and drought tolerant lawn ideal for warm southern regions.
- Creates a dense, rich green growth perfect for high traffic areas.
- Contains a blend of three premium ‘golf-course’ grade Bermudagrass seeds.
It is a great grass for almost any lawn in any hot weather area, especially for family and pets. Because of this, your Bermuda grass lawn will rarely have weed problems. You will likely want to apply a crabgrass prevention formula on your lawn a couple of times a year, but it is rarely a problem with Bermuda.
Third, Bermuda grass is very wear-resistant. The turf produced with Bermuda grass is one that can endure a lot, which makes it fairly low maintenance. It is a popular breed of grass for use on golf courses since it is so durable and resilient. It can also be found being used on soccer, football, and baseball fields as well. It can and should be cut fairly short, which also makes a great grass for keeping in manicured condition.
Fourth, Bermuda is great in heat and drought conditions. During times of low water production or high heat, it is a hardy grass that will survive most of the time.
Even to keep it at its best, you need only to give your Bermuda grass lawn around two inches of water per week. That is another reason that it is so commonly used with golf courses and on athletic fields of all kinds. Hot climates are prone to drought and high heat, so Bermuda grass is the perfect choice for you if that is the type of climate in which you live.
The fifth is a culmination of all the other reasons, but that makes it as important as any: Bermuda grass maintenance (care with low maintenance). It grows quickly, so once you seed it you only have to keep up a daily watering regimen for a short time. Bermuda grows thick and fine turf that makes it hardy and able to withstand a lot of use by children, pets, and the entire family.
Also, Bermuda grass can withstand drought conditions very well. On top of it, all is the fact that it will go dormant in winter so that even living in a hot climate you will not have to mow your lawn 12 months a year. Overall, it is a great grass for your lawn, golf course, athletic field, or really anywhere you want to be covered by lawn grass in a warm environment.
You should be aware that there are a couple of minor drawbacks to having Bermuda grass in your lawn, though they are far outweighed by the positives. As mentioned before, it can grow into your garden or flower bed if you do not edge it well.
Also, it should be mowed fairly often to be kept at around one-half inch in length. It also needs full sun, so if you have a shady yard, it is not for you. Lastly, you will have to remove thatch regularly when dealing with Bermuda grass.
Growing and caring for a yard can be a real prideful thing. If you live in a warm climate and want a lawn with a hardy tough reputation, Bermuda grass is going to be your best bet. Take a page from the golf course and baseball field management teams and plant Bermuda grass in your hot sunny climate.
you can buy Bermuda grass from amazon store here:
- Selectively remove undesirable bermudagrass weeds without damaging your lawn
- For use on cool season grasses such as fescue, Kentucky bluegrass and perennial rye grass
- Reduces the need for costly, time intensive treatments
- One quart covers 5,000 Sq Ft
- Removes undesirable Bermuda grass weeds without damaging your lawn
- ALL IN ONE GROWING SOLUTION: Grotrax ‘All-in-One’ Grass Seed fabric contains Seed, Fertilizer and Mulch in one easy to use ‘roll out’ growing system. "Every Seed Perfectly Placed" at 120% of its recommended planting rate. Each Grotrax Bermuda Rye Grass Seed roll contains the latest technology, high-quality seed from leading Oregon growers.
- SIMPLY ROLL, WATER, AND WATCH IT GROW: Every Grotrax roll includes seed, fertilizer, and mulch to create an All-in-One grass growing solution. Our Bermuda Rye Big Roll growing system stays green, even in extreme conditions of dense shade or scorching sun.
- BIODEGRADABLE GRASS SEED MAT: Once rolled out and watered, our specialized grass roll sticks to the ground. Each seed is then surrounded by fertilizer and held in place between two bio fabric layers, our Micro Pellet Fertilizer and Biodegradable Fabric. Grotrax Micro Pellet Fertilizer produces fast germination and uniform growth. Biodegradable Fabric prevents seeds from washing away making it cheaper, easier, and lighter than traditional sod.
- 100 SQUARE FEET BIG ROLL: Our product is super lightweight and easy to roll out or cut into patches to revive weak grass areas. Our Bermuda Rye Grass Seed Roll aggressively spreads and thickens for a durable lawn.
- PERFECT FOR SUN, SHADE and SLOPES: Designed for full sun and dense shade, Grotrax has fine bladed texture and medium to high drought resistance. Each Bio roll contains only the highest quality, certified weed free, award-winning Oregon seed.
Table of Contents