Best 8 Unique Ways to Landscaping Ideas For Backyard
Backyard landscaping is an important part of your overall landscaping plan. It will improve the overall appeal and usefulness of your home. While many people hire professionals to do their landscaping for them, the good news is that by using a few simple ideas you can have an eye-pleasing backyard in no time.
There are numerous options available when it comes to landscaping ideas for the backyard. Here are a few of the most useful and popular ones that you can start installing today:
1. Create Rounded Flowerbeds
In order to give the area a softer style, people can add sweeping lines and bring some change to a boring rectangular yard. The angular yard edges are turned into gentle curves by adding rounded flower beds along the fence line. The wandering curve of the design is echoed by placing small river rocks along the flowerbed.
To provide texture and interest to the area, colorful plant combinations are put in the bed. Daisies, pansies, snapdragons, and sage are used to fill the bed which leads to the creation of vivid hues with plants both close to the ground and above it.
2. Add a Pond that’s the Best Creative Landscaping idea for the Backyard
Installing a backyard pond is considered to be an excellent backyard landscaping idea that does not require huge sums of money and can give a very tranquil and natural appearance to your backyard. It can add depth and dimension to your backyard because it reflects the sky and surrounding surfaces.
Stones can be placed around the pond to make it eye-catching. It is one of the simplest and most rewarding ways of landscaping your backyard as different trims can be used to fit in with different styles. To provide an Asian accent a gazebo sticking slightly over the pond can be used. Along the edge of the pond, a raised wooden boardwalk can also be added.
3. Take Advantage of Other Water Features
Any yard design can be made breathtaking by incorporating some water features in it. An odd corner of the garden can be converted into a relaxing nook if a tall water fountain is used which consists of a stone globe with water trickling from the top and splashing into a stone bowl beneath. A gentle stream can also be formed by creating a shallow, thin, and flagstone-lined depression that runs through a large flower bed.
4. Try Your Hand at Container Gardening
An affordable way of perking up your backyard is to decorate it with plants packed inside containers. These containers do not have to be terracotta pots but can be anything lying about the house. But it should be able to hold soil and a plant and it should be possible to drill a drainage hole into it.
5. Discover Outdoor Lighting
To add a new look to your yard and to be able to enjoy it well into the night, people can install some well-placed lights. In the case of a patio or deck, people can make use of landscaping light fixtures or rope lighting which will keep your gathering area alight all night long. If you have a walkway, then you can use landscape lights along it to make it safe at night.
For an additional level of security, people can use perimeter lighting to light up the shrubs and trees. To save money on your electricity bill and to prevent having to place electric cords all around your yard, you can also use solar landscape lights.
6. Dress Up Everything with Stone Pathways
To keep off wandering feet off a delicate yard and to break up an oversized space, people can create wandering pathways in their backyards. People can select stones for their pathways depending on their style preference.
Granite block pathways can give a somber and formal feel while broken flagstone pathways have a traditional and earthy look. People can make the pathway stand out by putting small pathway lights along the edges or they can also keep it hidden among bordering flowerbeds.
7. Make an Outdoor Entertainment Area
Building a Moroccan-style entertainment area for guests and family is also an ideal way of designing your landscaping backyard. Instead of deck entertaining, it involves cushioned seating and a fire pit grill. Potted plants can be placed under a tented gazebo which is draped with gauze curtains. For an exotic and mystic feel, ambient lighting from copper lanterns can be used.
8. Make a Bird Paradise
Another landscaping idea for backyards is to turn it into a sanctuary for all kinds of colorful songbirds and wake up to their gentle songs every morning. There are several ways that you can attract songbirds to your backyard. You can add a well-stocked bird feeder or plants that birds are known to like, such as hummingbird bushes if you want to attract hummingbirds…
A birdbath can also be made which will invite birds to drink water and play. Large trees and birdhouses can also serve as nesting areas to keep birds around for a longer time.
There are many other landscaping ideas for the backyard which can be implemented by people such as making a pool, walkways, adding furniture, etc.
All of these can be used to add appeal and charm to your backyard. By starting with the eight ideas we outlined here, you can start making your backyard amazing today!
Creating a Unique Landscape From Others’ Ideas Landscaping
If you are looking to create a unique landscape for your yard, you may not know where to begin. Sure, everyone knows a manicured lawn with a few well-placed flowers makes for a relatively attractive landscape, but how do you find ideas to make your landscape truly unique? You use others’ ideas, of course! It is possible to use a hodgepodge of great landscaping and garden design ideas to create a unique landscape for your own yard.
- The first step in this process is to look at as many landscaping examples as you can find. You can take a trip around your neighborhood, and look online, in magazines, in books, and in catalogs. Look at each landscape and decide what you like. Make a list of all the features you think are beautiful, unique, or just fit your tastes. What type of water features do you like the best? Would you like to include a small pool, waterfall, or stream or would you prefer not to have a water feature at all? Do you like lights that will illuminate your landscaping at night? What types of statues and decorations do you find the most attractive?
- You should also take note of what you do not like along with what you believe could be used to improve the landscaping and garden design examples that you review. This can be a great way to get good ideas in and of itself. If you think a certain example is beautiful but could benefit from a good sitting area, you know to add a sitting area to your project. If you think one design is great, but the stone would go better with a certain plant than brick, make a note to pair the stone with that plant in your design.
- You may already have an idea of which plants you like, and you may not. Looking at others’ examples is a great way to get new plant ideas and see how your favorites look together. You may have envisioned your two favorite plants side by side, but come to find out that they don’t look well together after examining another design. Decide which type of plants you prefer, flowering or leafy, tall or short, sun or shade, and use others’ ideas to get a feeling of how they work together.
- You should also consider the maintenance level of your completed landscape and be sure you feel comfortable with it. You may pick five design elements you think will make the perfect landscape but find out that they require hours of time each week to maintain. Before you finalize your plans, make sure you know exactly how much work you are creating for yourself.
- After you have picked your favorite landscaping and design elements, you can combine them all together to create a unique landscape. You may want to consider things you did not see in others’ ideas or that are not common. Designing with fragrance is gaining popularity but has not become mainstream. You may want to consider designing your landscaping with very fragrant plants to include your sense of smell in the appreciation of your landscaping. You can also add a living element to your landscaping by planting flowering bushes that attract butterflies.
The design possibilities are endless; just make sure that what you end up with is something that you can treasure.